Tuesday, December 28, 2010

December 9th

Year after year, when I think about Christmas traditions, I think of how we have not done a very good job of creating treasured family traditions for our kids.

When I was growing up, we had several traditions, but the most treasured one was opening  family gifts on Christmas Eve. As a Navy family, it was rare we were in Ohio with the rest of the family for Christmas, but we still received gifts from those Ohio family members, tons of them when we were younger.  And, since the Ohio family had the annual Christmas Eve get together on Christmas Eve, my parents let us open their gifts so we could call into the party.   I really treasure the memory of that tradition.

Now that we are in Texas and my bestest buddy in the whole world lives a short 40 minutes away, we instituted the annual Bambach-Gibson cookie/crafting day.   Her kids came over and we baked dozens of cookies, and made dozens of ornaments.   That was a fun day, and a tradition I hope we can keep going.   The kids were not too interested in the baking, but they did love the ornament making and they enjoyed making marshmallow hot chocolate stirrers. 


With our kids, we allow them to open one gift on Christmas Eve, and it is the pajamas, and we all wear our new pajamas to bed Christmas Eve.  Not sure how they feel about that tradition, but it is what it is.


A few years ago in Georigia, we attempted to start the cut your own tree tradition, however, since we have moved to Texas and the nearest cut your own tree is hours away, that went by the wayside.  In Georgia, we had our annual Christmas Dinner with self named Saturday Night Supper Club friends, but we are not in Georgia anymore. 

One tradition that has stuck year over year for me is making my Christmas Cards.  I have made them for 4 or 5 years now, and I still enjoy doing it. Now I find Phoenix making random  Christmas cards to send to people and she has a pretty good eye for them (especially for a 9 year old). 

I really hope we can create some more family traditions with our Children, whatever they might be.  Suggestions anyone?

I will leave you with photos from our annual craft/cookie day.

Hugs and Love
Enjoy the little things.




No comments: